Muscle cramps hurt. These cramps are caused by a sudden, involuntary contraction of a muscle or group of muscles. Usually, these cramps are caused by overuse, injury, or dehydration, but they might also be due to more rare conditions like atherosclerosis, nerve compression due to lumbar spine narrowing or potassium depletion.
Most muscle cramps occur while exercising, but they might also happen while you are sitting or resting.
To help relieve the pain of a muscle cramp or to prevent cramps, the following home-care methods will help:
- Gently stretching and massaging the cramped area
- Elongated stretching of the cramped area
- Applying cold/heat to affected areas
- Drinking salt-replenishing liquids
- Regularly completing flexibility in areas with frequent cramping
If you are suffering from frequent, severe muscle cramps, please contact your doctor. He or she will be able to help find a solution to your problem.